The other day when I saw Katie and Sherry blog about the Pinterest Challenge I did a little happy dance in my chair! I love pinterest, I love a good challenge and I love, love, love making things. A match made in heaven!
Anyway, I searched back through my Pinterest boards and decided to make a star chandy light fixture for the bare bulb in Max's room.
Only I decided to take things one step further and make it a little more challenging. I decided that I wanted to do it for free, using only things that I had lying around the house.
Here's how it turned out!
I think I'm in love :)
Now if you're interested in the 'how to', the next 5 billion words and photographs will give you a run down. If not, skip to the end to get a sneak peak of the rest of Max's room.
How to DIY a star chandy for free:
First up I went searching through the dump that I call my garage looking for something that would work as the starting point for the project. I was actually looking for wire of some description, but when I spotted the cover for an old, broken pedestal fan I knew I had a winner. Not only was it free, it was also upcycling something old and broken into something new and beautiful. Win win!
I tried a few different methods for breaking through the spokes on the fan guard. Scissors, my mini handsaw and a combination of both. I wasn't having much luck though. Sean came along and suggested we give it a go with pair of pliers. Success!
It took about an hour, but eventually I had worked the cover back to a single wire circle.
Next up I grabbed a few different strands of ribbon that I had in my craft stash and wound the ribbon around the frame, hot gluing it every couple of inches.
It wasn't the neatest job, but I figured it would end up being covered by stars anyway.
The cutting out of the stars was by far the most time consuming thing of all. I didn't want to spend money buying a punch, so I printed out a star shape onto cardboard and then traced around it onto craft paper. Again I raided my stash for the different papers that I used. All up I ended up cutting out 133 stars. Yikes!
To get the nice strings of stars I used my poor mistreated sewing machine - it has sewn more paper crafts that any machine probably should! It was really simple though, I even managed to thread the bobbin without referring to the instruction manual! Another first!
Once I had fourteen strings of stars (7 with 9 stars, and 7 with 10 stars), I laid them out around the frame to get my spacing right. I also used paperclips, rubber bands, clips etc to bunch the stars up so that they were easier to work with.
Then I added some string to the top so that it could be hung from the ceiling.
Standing on a chair I can't quite reach the ceiling, so Sean stuck up some hooks for me and then hung the mobile/chandy. As soon as it was up there I knew I loved it. After 6 hours of work it was definitely a relief to have it done!